Compatibility mode normally use for:
1. Installing old drivers into new operating system. exe: winodws vista drivers in windows 7.
2. Run old application (for xp in vista, vista in win 7, win 7 in win 8).
3. Install Old application in newer version of windows.
4. To enable options that available in previous version of windows (i.e game resolution).
5. To avoid bug, hang, freeze screen when running the application.
Change the program compatibility:
1. Right click on the drivers or application and select properties.
2. Select Compatibility tab.
3. Select "run this program in compatibility mode for".. and select the previous Operating system available on the drop-down menu list.
Operating System Selection:
You need to select the operating system that compatible with the application. say that the program is design for windows vista select windows vista. There are many windows vista selection (sp1, sp2) what to do? You just need to test which give you the best result. The best way to do it is most of the protgram and application has readme file. In the readme file in will show the list of compatible operating system t the application. So choose base on the readme file. Belwo is the example of a eame file of a software driver: